Table of Contents
- 1 Best Selling Strollers
- 2 High-End Strollers
- 3 Mid-Range Strollers
- 4 Best Budget Strollers
- 5 What should I look for?
What is an All Terrain Stroller?
All terrain strollers have front swivel wheel for superior maneuvering that also locks straight for jogging. Active parents find these 3-wheelers fit well with their lifestyle and prefer brands such as Thule, BOB, Mountain Buggy, Joovy and Graco.
Discover the best for 2018 in this guide.
Why choose All Terrain?
All terrain strollers are not just for walkers or joggers anymore. Some choose all terrain for going to places like the beach, park trails, amusement parks, and the zoo. Rural families also prefer these strollers for their easy glide over rough sidewalks and gravel.
Even though an all terrain is rugged, the swivel front tire helps send it through tight corners and hallways. Some accommodate infant car seats, so your newborn has a travel system.
Best Selling Strollers
- Large bicycle tires roll effortlessly over all surfaces
- Front swivel wheel for easy maneuvering, locks for jogging.Recommended Use :6 m ~ 50 lbs or up to 42.
- Reclining padded seat with 5 point harness, tether, large canopy and storage basket
- Safe and Comfort - Constructed by steel frame, even though it is a lightweight Jogger stroller but is extraordinarily durable to carry your baby anywhere. Equipped with 5-point safety...
- Adjustable and Removable Sun Canopy - The Canopy with covered sunroof ratchets can well protect your baby from ultraviolet radiation. You can also look at your babies with peek a boo windows...
- Lockable Front swivel Wheels and Rubber Tires - This stroller equipped with locking front swivel wheels with suspension for superior maneuverability , you can control it easily. Rubber Tires...
- Easy-to-push lightweight frame
- Wheels with spring shock suspension to smooth out the roughest of roads
- 16" air-filled tires with aluminum rims provide performance and style
- Functions: Stroller can be a sleeping bed for 0-6 months old baby. Also, can be changed into a seat for 7-36 months old child. Infant and toddler both can use it. Easy to push on all...
- Shining Points: Just need one hand to change the bassinet into a seat position. Just one-step to brake or release strollers. There are some anti-shock springs in the front wheels to protect...
- More Features: High enough to protect baby from dust. Can match the dining table like a chair. Canopy can be adjusted according to the weather. Sturdy, wear resistant and anticorrosive...
- Stroller offers 7 different riding positions, giving mom all the options she needs as the child grows
- The reversible modular stroller seat allows baby to face you or the world, with multi-position recline for added comfort
- Reclining seat converts to cozy infant bassinet for on-the-go comfort for baby
With a swivel wheel in the front, maneuvering through tight spaces is a breeze. Though larger than other strollers, all-terrains are typically easy to fold and store.
Thule Urban Glide 2.0
- A lightweight, all-terrain stroller perfect for jogging or strolling through town
- Swivel front wheel locks into place for jogging
- Large 16" rear wheels plus suspension for an ultra smooth ride
At only 23 pounds, the Thule Urban Glide is an “all-round sports stroller”. This three-wheeler seamlessly takes you from your jogging route to the beach to park trails.
The phenomenal features on this outdoor warrior include everything to keep you and your child safe and comfortable. 16″ rear tires with rear suspension smooth the bumpy ride for your little one.
Shield your child from any angle of the sun with a “follow the sun” canopy that includes a flip-out mesh visor.
From birth to 77 lbs, the seat reclines in multiple positions and the tough aluminum frame is travel system compatible.
You get a comfortable, height-adjustable handlebar and a zippered storage basket beneath the seat so that your belongings won’t bounce out during your jog. There’s also a big storage pocket behind the seat.
The Urban Glide sports a simple, stand-alone fold and quick-release wheels for easy storage.
Thule Urban Glide is a Consumer Reports Recommended Buy, with an overall high score, excellent marks for Ease of Use and Maneuverability, and a very good mark for Safety.
Parents are raving over its performance, abundant storage, and massive sun canopy. They’ve even come out with a double!
- Locking swivel-front wheel for stability when jogging and easy mobility while on the go in the city. The frame material is high strength aluminum alloy
- Air-filled tires and mountain bike-style suspension system offers an ultra-smooth ride, while the adjustable handlebar with hand brake provides downhill control
- No-rethread harness, one-hand near-flat recline, and 2-step fold allows for easy adjustments; ventilated, padded seat and extra-large UPF 50+ canopy ensures a cool, comfortable journey
BOB is a brand that has become extremely popular with parents all over, whether they live in rugged rural areas or in the urban jungle.
All of their models are made with superb quality and enjoy solidly high ratings both from both parents and professional consumer reporting agencies who recommend this product for its long life.
Light & Tough
Weighing only 23 lbs, the BOB Revolution stroller is lightweight, folds up easily, and storage is a snap!
Built with a superb suspension system, your Revolution goes over the toughest terrain with ease and agility. Many have compared BOB strollers to mountain bikes for the precision suspension, rugged tires, and tough frame.
The ultra-padded multi-position reclining seat goes back up to 70 degrees and the adjustable handle is comfortable for tall parents.
Parents give it high praise, and most would recommend it. Read my surprising BOB Revolution review to find out why!
- Lightest in class weighing only 22lbs.
- Eco fabrics featuring recycled plastics (pet), Oeko-Tex and Blue sign System Partner Fabric Certifications.
- Infant compatible adjustable footrest converts seat into infant mode.
Want a high end all terrain stroller or jogger without all the bulkiness? The Bumbleride Indie is specially designed for a compact footprint and simple operation.
This 22-pound stroller can hold more than twice its weight, carrying your little one until they’re 45 lbs!
Newborn babies can ride in the seat because of the flat recline and footrest that forms an enclosure. If you’d rather have a travel system, though, a universal car seat adapter is included that accommodates most of the popular brands.
Is it safe?
A padded 5-point safety harness keeps your child snug and secure, and the SPF 45 canopy is enormous, offering plenty of protective shade from the sun’s rays.
Parents praise the Indie for its smooth ride, great maneuverability, and easy storage. Consumer Reports weighs in, too. Read what they have to say, take a look at detailed photos, video reviews, and more in my review.
Mountain Buggy Terrain
- THREE POSITION SWIVEL LOCK FRONT WHEEL - Provides maximum control and maximum performance on any terrain while walking or jogging. Swivel, lock forwards, lock backwards or adjust the "play"...
- ONE-HAND CONTROL SQUEEZE BRAKE - for hilly adventures and rough terrain;SHOCK ABSORBING SUSPENSION - a smooth push for mom and dad and a smooth ride for your baby
- NEWBORN READY IN THREE MODES - Newborn perfect reclinable seat, compatible with the Mountain Buggy Carry Cot+ in matching fabric (sold separately) and infant car seats from most major brands...
If you’re a person who runs or jogs and you’d love a jogging stroller, but you don’t want to give up the maneuverability that an all-terrain has to offer, you can look no further than the Mountain Buggy Terrain.
The Terrain has signature features of a performance jogger such as 16-inch rear tires that pop off for more compact storage. A slowing handbrake on the handlebar is a standard safety feature must-have.
Safe & Comfortable
The shock-absorbing suspension system smooths out the ride. The front wheel has a 3-way lock: Lock it forward during your run for extra stability, lock it backward for stability over terrain, and let it loose and swivel for maneuvering.
Other features include an adjustable height handlebar for your comfort and a zip-close storage basket.
An enormous canopy with flip-out visor follows sun at an angle to shield your child.
The seat is great for newborns and carries kids up to 55 lbs. For your newborn, the seat zips right off and you attach a car seat with an adapter right to the frame. You can also use a carrycot as a pram.
The Terrain is also compatible with the Face to Face seat, a parent-facing seat you can get for those in-between months before baby is ready to sit outward.
Parents recommend the Mountain Buggy Terrain and give it very high reviews for the performance and adjustable height handle.
In the mid-range category, all-terrain strollers have excellent suspension systems. The design is updated every few years with many brands, and contemporary fabrics and colors compliment each other.
Here you may or may not get a child’s snack tray, but often times, if you don’t get a tray you may get a bumper bar or little pocket for your child’s sippy cup or bottle.
The most common compliments for a mid-range all terrain stroller are the smooth suspension system, easy maneuvering, and large sun canopies.
- Locking swivel-front wheel for stability when jogging and easy mobility while on the go in the city
- 12" air-filled tires and mountain bike-style suspension system offers an ultra-smooth ride, while the one-step foot-activated parking brake secures the back wheels at a stop
- No rethreading, ever: No-rethread harness and one-hand near-flat recline allows for easy adjustments
Are the phenomenal BOB strollers a little out of your budget? BOB has thought of you when they released the new Rambler.
Weighing just over 25 lbs, the BOB Rambler stroller is very lightweight.
If you have a newborn, the Rambler takes most major brand car seats (adapters sold separately) for a convenient travel system. The ultra-padded, multi-position reclining seat has a deep recline and also sits up straight so your passenger can take part in your adventures.
You’ll appreciate the full-coverage UPF 50+ canopy and generous storage basket.
While still packed with fantastic features, the Rambler’s handle is stuck at 39 inches high, without possible adjustment. This is the biggest problem that parents have had with the Rambler.
Parent reviews so far are mixed, but overall positive. They like the comfortable seat, the smooth ride, and excellent maneuverability.
Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight
- Extra wide seat sits high to give child great visibility, multi-position seat recline
- Includes parent organizer, running leash, and tire pump
- Quick release 16" rear wheels and 12.5" swivel front wheel that locks straight
If you’re looking for a super mid-range all terrain stroller or jogger, a Joovy Zoom is an excellent option to consider; it is the only three-wheeler in the line of Joovy strollers.
The Joovy Zoom 360 is designed to provide smooth rides on uneven terrains, such as grass, bumpy walkways and even on sandy beaches because of the excellent rear-wheel suspension system.
This all terrain stroller is made of aircraft grade aluminum and the fabrics are made of extremely durable 600D polyester material. Parents really appreciate this stroller’s durability.
Read my Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight review to find out even more about this stroller!
- Accepts all Chicco KeyFit and Fit2 car seats with click-in attachment (sold separately)
- Exclusive Control Console with hand-operated swivel and brake controls for unmatched convenience
- Multi-position reclining seat with 3D Air Mesh backrest for improved ventilation
It’s been a while since Chicco offered an all-terrain stroller, but now we’re delighted to have one in the newer Activ3. This is the kind you use for both everyday outings and exercise because it is lightweight but with all the features you need.
Weighing only 27 lbs, the Activ3 accommodates your child from 6 months old up to 50 pounds. For newborns, attach a Chicco Keyfit car seat for your own travel system.
The handlebar has a lot going on. It’s adjustable in 5 positions, includes a hand-controlled brake.
An ample sun canopy with peek-a-boo window, child bumper bar, 5-point padded safety harness, and multi-position reclining seat round out the features that make outings and adventures a positive experience for both you and baby.
Maintenance-free rubber tires with suspension smooth out the ride.
If you want more of a performance stroller, and stay within mid-range budget, check out the Chicco Tre. It features larger rear tires and a slowing hand-brake on the handlebar.
Parents enjoy the versatility for light jogs and power walks, while at the same time using their Activ3 for casual outings and errands.
Read my review for additional information, photos, measurements, and a video review.
- All the convenience accessories are included in this ultimate performance jogger, so there's nothing more to buy
- Pneumatic tires and a locking front-swivel wheel with tracking are built to handle all of your jogs while staying active with baby
- Jogging strollers premium suspension system offers high-grade performance for a smooth ride on any terrain
Entering into the world of high-performance joggers, Graco introduces the Relay. Unlike other high-performance joggers or all-terrain strollers, the Relay includes all the accessories we come to expect like a child’s cup holder/bumper bar, parent cup holders and adequate storage.
But all those accessories don’t add up to a huge amount of bulk. The Relay weighs only 28 lbs, holds your child up to 50 lbs, and can accommodate a total weight of 70 lbs. Pretty amazing!
The Relay is made with avid joggers in mind and it has high ratings for the premium suspension system, which smooths out the ride when you’re going fast.
The quick, one-handed one-second fold is getting rave reviews as is the convenient Click Connect travel system option.
Discover more about the Graco Relay in my thorough review, complete with measurements, photos, and a video demo.
Best Budget Strollers
You don’t have to spend a lot of money to get a quality all terrain stroller. Some of the most popular three-wheelers are in this category and have been around for many years. These are brands you can trust!
Some of these budget all terrain strollers accommodate car seats and are highly rated travel systems. All of the products selected have parent trays and children’s snack trays. Larger wheels give a smooth ride and all have some sort of suspension system.
Graco FastAction Fold Jogger
No products found.
Graco’s done it again by creating an incredibly popular, versatile, and functional jogging/all-terrain stroller. The FastAction Fold Jogger has all the convenience features of a traditional stroller with the rugged performance of a fitness 3-wheeler.
With air-filled rubber tires, you feel as if you float over bumps and rough terrain and your baby feels comforted by the smooth movement.
This new jogger accepts all Graco Click Connect car seats as part of a travel system for easy stroller-to-car transfer.
The padded seat has multiple reclining positions and the 5-point safety harness converts to a 3-point lap belt for free movement when baby gets older.
The handlebar height is comfortable for both tall and petite parents, and the large storage basket holds all your stuff. Parents like the canopy with the large mesh peek-a-boo window that allows for better airflow through the seating area.
So far parents are giving rave reviews for the FastAction. Some have commented on the bulk of this stroller (weighing in at 30 lbs) but most really like the maneuverability.
Read the Stroller Envy exclusive review to discover if the FastAction Fold Jogger is for you.
Baby Trend Expedition
- Large bicycle tires roll effortlessly over all surfaces
- Convenient Parent Tray with 2 Cup holders
- Front Swivel Wheel for easy maneuvering, locks for jogging
This is a great stroller for taking brisk walks in the park and while it is the most basic model of the Baby Trend 3-wheelers, it is also the most popular. Parents recommend the Expedition for the affordable price and the sporty look.
How does it ride?
It goes over a variety of surfaces such as dirt trails and roads, cracked sidewalks, gravel and bike trails with ease because of the nice-sized 16″ wheels.
Most parents who get this stroller are not serious runners or avid joggers, but they do like getting out for brisk walks. The swivel feature on the front tire is a must for maneuverability, but for those who do prefer to jog, then the front tire can lock straight for stability during the ride.
The Expedition has had some problems in the past with its wobbly wheel, leading to mixed reviews across web retailers. However, the problem seems to have been corrected as of late, and even Consumer Reports gives this budget all terrain stroller an excellent rating.
Discover more about this budget-priced all terrain stroller as you read through the updated review with bigger and better photos.
- Lightweight jogging stroller that is self standing when folded
- Convenient Storage basket, 2 deep parent cup holders and 2 toddle cup holds with snack tray
- Cushioned multi-position reclining seat with adjustable 3pt/5pt harness
Want a lightweight jogger that has excellent quality and costs under $200? Look no further than the Evenflo Victory!
The Victory weighs a mere 23 lbs, which Evenflo claims is 10% lighter than comparable brands.
Storage & Travel
This lightweight stroller includes a slim stand-alone fold for more compact storage. A huge plus over the usual bulky folds of most all-terrains!
Parents appreciate the large rear pneumatic wheels and the front swivel wheel that provides excellent maneuverability for everyday use. Lock the front swivel wheel straight for jogging.
Other parent amenities include a large storage basket beneath the seat and a parent console up top that has two deep cup holders.
The Evenflo Victory is car seat compatible when you buy the Embrace Infant Car Seat separately, turning this into a travel system.
Comfort & Safety
The multi-position reclining seat has a comfortable 5-point padded safety harness that converts to a 3-point lap belt for when your child is older and wants more freedom of movement.
The canopy could definitely be bigger, and unfortunately, there is no peek-a-boo window at the top. However, mesh side windows on either side of the canopy allow for air flow.
What should I look for?
The variety of sporty, stylish colors and brands is continually growing, but generally speaking, all terrain strollers are either budget friendly or very expensive.
The best all terrain strollers cost upwards of $300, and some reach over $700 by the time you add accessories. But parents who purchase the higher-end products feel good about the value and performance.
On more of a budget? You can still get a quality all terrain stroller for under $200, and you will see some popular items with high-quality ratings in that section.
Mid-range (between $200-$400) brands are harder to find, but the selection is growing!
Your all terrain stroller, regardless of price range, should include a 5-point harness. This is an essential safety feature for these strollers!
Higher-end strollers may include sun canopies with more features, like a wider scope and mesh paneling, but budget-friendly options include canopies that work well enough.
If you plan on taking your all terrain for a jog, you’re going to want to invest in a more expensive stroller, as the affordable models do not guarantee a locking mechanism for the front wheels.
Overall, the more you pay for the stroller, the more amenities it will include. Top all terrain strollers usually feature lots of storage, a snack tray, a cup holder, etc. If you’re looking for an all-in-one stroller, you’re going to have to pay a pretty penny.
Budget-friendly options may not include as many bells and whistles, but they usually have the essentials, like a good amount of storage, and a pocket for snacks inside of the stroller.
Adjustable handlebars can be essential to some parents. If this feature is important to you, you might have to invest in a higher-priced stroller, as this feature is not guaranteed for affordable models.
For the most part, almost every all terrain stroller is going to be travel system capable.