A tandem baby stroller has two seats, one behind the other. The back seat can be reclined fully, but the front seat usually cannot be reclined all the way in some cases. Therefore, such a tandem stroller is ideal for an infant and a toddler, where the toddler sits in front, and the younger sibling lies or sits in the back seat. However many families prefer a tandem stroller for their twins as many brands these days accomodate two infant car seats as a double travel system.
One of the best features a tandem stroller has is that it has the same width as a single, which allows access through doors and tight spaces. Maneuvering a tandem stroller through crowds should be easier than a side by side since you're going in single file, taking up less space. But turning corners is more challenging with all that weight sticking out in front. It can be like navigating a ship sometimes.
Table of Contents
Current Best Selling Tandem Strollers
- The lightest weight (23 lbs.), most compact, and maneuverable full-size double stroller available, max child weight 90 lbs.
- Full-size removable rear seat has a multi-position recline and holds a child from 6 months to 45 lbs.
- Front seat accommodates a child from 3 months to 45 lbs. and reclines to 3-positions
- Children can sit in the front and rear seats of this stroller or stand on the rear platform
- Removable rear seat converts stroller to traditional Sit N Stand
- One hand fold is fast and easy to use, large basket for storage
- Accommodates 2 children: Traditional stroller seat plus back seat and platform for big kids to ride or stand
- Main stroller seat folds forward to accept KeyFit or Fit2 car seat with an audible click
- Main stroller seat includes 5-point harness, adjustable canopy, and detachable child tray
- Accommodates up to 2 children sitting in stroller seats, up to 2 in infant car seats,(sold separately) or one sitting and one standing
- Stroller allows your older child to stand on the rear platform or sit on the rear seat , Care and Cleaning - Spot or wipe clean
- Accepts one or two infant car seats (sold separately) and accommodates all Baby Trend Infant Car Seats and select models from other brands to create a travel system
- Most compact and maneuverable double stroller available allows your older child to sit and stand on the rear platform or bench seat
- 2 year warranty is 4 times longer than the Baby Trend Sit and Stand warranty and 2 times longer than the Graco Ready2Grow warranty - Satisfaction Guaranteed
- Includes a Universal Car Seat Adapter that fits most major brands. Check the Joovy website for the most recent list
You will be amazed at all the choices on the market today from simple tandem styles to models with all the luxury features. From stadium seating to removable, reversible seats, you'll be sure to find the right double tandem for your family.
Based on consumer reviews, professional guides, blog reviewers as well as personal experience, these are the best tandems this year. The most expensive tandem strollers are listed first. Go to Midtrange & Budget tandem strollers for options $300 and less.
Higher-End Tandem Strollers
These tandem stroller choices on the upper end of the budget range have one thing in common: they are convertible strollers that go from single to double. See more here. These are the most popular in the tandem category at this price range.
Baby Jogger City Select Double
- Most versatile tandem stroller on the market today, the City Select was designed to keep your family rolling as it grows from one child to two
- Now sold with the Second Seat Kit included, the City Select Double is allows parents to mix and match seats, bassinets and car seats to suit their family's needs
- Over 16 different combinations from double tiered car seats to a bassinet and single seat combo (Car Seats, Bassinet Kits and accessories - sold separately)
Known as a convertible stroller, the Baby Jogger City Select is the ultimate "mix n match" stroller; it can transform from a stylish single stroller into a tandem buggy with the addition of another stroller seat or bassinet with 16 different combinations.
Now this is wonderful for parents who still have one child and plan to have another baby, because the City Select is a gorgeous, functional single stroller.
It saves you money when you're ready for that second seat when the new sibling arrives and you don't have to go purchase another stroller, just the cost of the second seat with adapters.
City Select owners give this stroller a 4-star average rating for functionality and maneuverability. Consumer Reports gives it a 58% overall score with very good marks for Ease of Use and Safety, and a good mark for Maneuverability. Find out why so many parents love this stroller when you read my exclusive review.
Phil and Teds Voyager
- voyager has a spectacularly lightd compact stand fold. No need to remove any seats - keep 1 or both seats attached as you fold (you can even fold in any mode! be it parent facing, forwrard...
- NZ-designed aeromaxx wheels offer the smoothest 'air tyre' ride without the air - fancy that? Ride over all terrain in cushioned comfort, and be confident that you'll have no flat tyres
- not only is the voyager seat ultra adaptable, it's also the largest modular stroller seat available, at a whopping 610mm for the main seat height & 420mm for the double kit! voyager offers...
Phil & Teds has made innovation their par for the course, and they did it again with the new Voyager. This convertible stroller has a 4-in-1 adaptable seat, both in front and for the second seat that you can buy as a doubles kit. The seat either sits up in "regular mode" or lies bassinet flat for your newborn. It also parent-faces or can be removed in bassinet mode as a free-standing unit. Use both seats as bassinets at the same time, and you have an ideal stroller for twins.
Other features in the Voyager include a folding system that enables you to fold it with both seats attached, facing in either direction, or in bassinet mode. For you new parents on the scene, this was literally impossible not that long ago!
12" New Zealand designed Aeromaxx tires provides a smooth ride with puncture-proof peace of mind. The sun canopies have zip-away panels for maximum coverage. Parents love the 24" seatback, allowing lots of growth room, it's the tallest seat back on the market right now.
This is a newer Phil&Teds stroller, and not many reviews are out yet, but the few reviews out there are giving it 5 stars for the seating versatility, the fact that the stroller can fold with the second seat still attached, and the convenient hand brake. Not to mention that it has a sleek design and is made with quality materials.
See this informative tandem stroller video review to see if this is the stroller you're looking for!
- NEW! 2018 model VISTA Stroller
- Includes and full size front or rear facing toddler seat with multi-position recline
- Compatible with MESA Infant Car Seat - direct attachment, no adapters necessary
One of the more popular and well-made luxury convertible strollers, the UPPABaby Vista is one of the brands that includes a feature-rich bassinet with purchase. An award-winning favorite of parents since 2006, the Vista is known for high quality materials, smooth steering, modern beautiful style and convenience. And now the Vista has been redesigned since 2015, and all these improvements are detailed in my review.
Favorite features include a comfortable, full-sized seat that is easy to reverse and recline. A huge storage basket stores everything you need and a telescoping height-adjustable handle provides strolling comfort for both mom and dad.
Large rubber tires never go flat and takes you smoothly over bumpy park terrain. Weighing only 33½ pounds with both seats attached, it is about standard for full-sized for a tandem stroller.
It is also compatible with all major brand car seats with the right adapter sold separately, or click the UPPAbaby MESA right onto the frame. The Vista now holds two car seats or two bassinets and is a fantastic option for parents with twins. Whether you have a single child or two, the Vista is excellent as a single or a double stroller and switching between the options is seamless.
For years parents like you have ADORED this stroller and regularly give the Vista 4½ and 5 stars! Discover all the amazing aspects of this stylish convertible stroller + video reviews in my exclusive UPPAbaby Vista review.
Midrange and Budget Tandem Strollers
There are few options in this category. Over the years I've noticed that more and more brands are heading toward the sit and stand or single to double convertible stroller option. Many sit and stand strollers have a second removable seat option that goes over the bench. Joovy and Graco are the best brands. Single to double options are usually not in this price category.
Contours Options Elite
- 7 SEATING OPTIONS - Versatile seating configurations to keep everyone happy. Reversible seats with new lift-assist mounts for easy Face Forward & Backward, Face-to-Face, and Back-to-Back...
- LIGHTWEIGHT - Enjoy the convenience of multiple seating options in a lighter-weight aluminum frame that is only 34 lbs. Each seat accommodates up to 40 pounds.
- FITS TWO COMFORTABLY - Accommodates two infant car seats. Brand specific "click-in" adapters and universal car seat adapter available for purchase separately.
Contours have consistently put out excellent strollers, and their tandems have been met with great reviews in years past. The Options Elite gives you seven seating options for your two children. If you have twins, this stroller is a great choice because it accommodates two infant car seats. One car seat adapter is included with purchase, and most major car seat brands are accepted.
This tandem Contours stroller has a convenient standing fold, and folds with both seats attached. While it is a hefty 38 pounds, it has all the features you could want, like a generous storage basket with zippered sides for easy accessibility. Large sun canopies with mesh panel extensions provide ample shade and air circulation. Mesh pockets in the seat holds little snacks or toys for each child.
Seats have a 3-position recline and adjustable footrest, along with pivoting bumper bars. 5-point safety harnesses keep your passengers snug and safe. Large rubber-coated wheels smooths out the ride and you get a cup holder.
So far, the Options Elite is getting a 4½-star rating for its easy maneuvering and for the great value for money. Read my complete review for lots more in-depth information, measurements, additional photos, and Consumer Reports.
Take a look at this short video review.
Chicoo Cortina Together
- Build your own travel system with matching Chicco car seats; Accepts two No.1-rated Key Fit or Key Fit 30 infant car seats
- Fully-reclining rear seat for bassinet enclosure or car seat attachment
- Exclusive forward-fold front seat for car seat attachment
Versatility is a high point on this Chicco double stroller. Parents of twins love that they can use TWO KeyFit or KeyFit 30 Infant Car Seats in this stroller to turn it into a Chicco travel system. If you use just one car seat, you have the option of using either the front or the back seat. As a mom or dad, you know how important it is to have several options available!
Reviews have been solidly positive for the Cortina Together, rating it at an average 4½ stars. Praises for the one-handed maneuverability and smooth ride are common.
Parents appreciate the sturdy frame and durability of this Chicco tandem stroller. It is easy to fold and only slightly larger than a standard stroller once folded, making storage in the trunk space more compact
Consumer Reports rates the Cortina Together "so-so" ratings with an overall 51%. Ease of Use has very good marks while Maneuverability and Safety get fair marks.
Discover more about this Chicco double stroller in my review to see if it is the one for your growing family.