Toddlers need to learn how to get a full night’s sleep. It is hard to have an adult conversation about sleeping patterns with your toddler. You need a tool to help them develop positive sleeping habits.
A toddler alarm clock solves that problem by giving your toddler a clear signal of when it’s sleep time and when it’s acceptable to wake up. These clocks are great teaching aids that help your child to learn to regulate their sleep cycle.
This article will look at the best toddler alarm clocks on the market and discuss how to use them effectively to ensure a good night’s sleep.
Quick Summary: Best Toddler Alarm Clocks
|No products found.|
Our Top ChoiceMy Tot Clock
|Check on Amazon →|
|Bunny Kids Alarm Clock||Check on Amazon →|
|Mirari OK to Wake! Alarm Clock and Night Light||Check on Amazon →|
|It's About Time Stoplight Sleep Enhancing Alarm Clock||Check on Amazon →|
|Amazon Echo Glow||Check on Amazon →|
Table of Contents
Our Top Toddler Alarm Clocks
Not sure where to start? You can find the best toddler alarm clock listed below:
My Tot Clock
No products found.
This clock has just about all the features your child needs to go to sleep without your intervention. From soothing lullabies to bedtime stories to white noise, your child will have no shortage of aids to help them fall asleep.
The My Tot changes colors every time it communicates a new sleeping instruction. Blue is for bedtime, and yellow is for wake up time. Green is playtime, and red is for ‘reflecting,’ which could be as simple as sitting up in bed for your toddler. The clock can also play holiday songs and tell Christmas stories.
What we like
- Has a night light
- Includes a weekend wake up feature
- Color settings for different actions
- Comes with a battery backup for when there is no power available
What we don’t like
- It takes patience and time to program the settings
- The storytelling and songs can easily distract the child
Bunny Kids Alarm Clock
- ✅【ALARM CLOCK FOR KIDS】: It is never easy for parents to teach their young children to have regular sleep-wake habits. Therefore, ANMONES children’s clock was born to save parents'...
- ✅【IDEAL GIFT】: The cute bunny shape design makes it an elegant decoration even if you don’t need to use it. ANMONES night light alarm clock with safe ABS material, ideal for bedroom,...
- ✅【SMART LUMINOUS FUNCTION】: The alarm clock defaults to the energy saving model and the screen will not display. You can activate the alarm screen display by making a sound louder than...
This excellent alarm clock is for those toddlers who are still trying to develop sleeping habits. It has bunny ears that kids can watch as they fall asleep. The clock can double as a night light, and the cradle songs are quiet enough to act as lullabies.
There’s also a digital thermometer, a snoozer, and a touch controller. The clock uses rechargeable batteries, so you don’t have to worry about replacing them.
What we like
- Has energy-saving mode to reduce battery drain
- Highly durable
- Has adjustable, self-soothing alarm sounds
- Comes with rechargeable batteries
- Features a night light
What we don’t like
- Only comes in one color
- The clock is magnetic, which means it works best only on metal surfaces
- The time display is highly sensitive and can change if the child plays with the clock or knocks it over
Mirari OK to Wake! Alarm Clock and Night Light
- PERFECT ADDITION TO YOUR CHILD’S ROOM--The green light is a simple visual indicator that informs children when it's time to get up, instead of them waking up the whole family way too...
- BETTER SLEEP FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY--Children quickly learn to go back to sleep or play quietly in their room until "green means go!"
- FUNCTIONAL CLOCK-- Features a convenient nap timer and alarm clock with snooze for different functions.
The Mirari OK to Wake! is great for preschool and kindergartners who are learning their numbers. The instructions are color-coded and straightforward. Green signifies the time to wake up, yellow represents the time to sleep, and you can program nap time to any color you wish.
The clock comes with night lights to help your child sleep, and it comes with lots of playful animations that you can turn on by pushing a button. The clock works for toddlers, but it has enough features that older children will also enjoy it and learn from it.
What we like
- Easy to program
- Has lights to help the child self-regulate their sleep
- Includes a button that triggers animations and lights
What we don’t like
- The snooze button is too easy to trigger
- The alarm might not be loud enough for some toddlers
- The clock has durability issues
It’s About Time Stoplight Sleep Enhancing Alarm Clock
- Sleep enhancing alarm clock for kids featuring a stoplight and sculpted figure
- Toddlers know if it's time to get up by looking at the stoplight
- Red light means it's time to sleep; Green light means it's time to WAKE up
This clock is an excellent choice if your child is a fan of Sesame Street. You can pick from many different designs, including three Sesame Street characters. The customized design settings allow you to choose from Big Bird to the Cookie Monster to The Count.
This clock also comes with color-coded sleep instructions that mirror traffic lights. Red is for sleep, green is for waking up, and yellow tells the toddler to get ready for sleep. You can also program the yellow light to act as a night light.
What we like
- Has a backup battery in case electricity is not available
- Has soothing night lights that mirror traffic lights so your toddler can easily understand
- Looks great and can act as a decoration for your toddler’s bedroom
What we don’t like
- It takes a while to program
- It’s a little on the pricier side
Amazon Echo Glow
- A smart lamp for kids - Pair with any compatible Alexa device to control color and brightness with your voice.
- Certified for Humans - Struggle-free, tinker-free, stress-free. No patience needed—it's actually simple.
- Make family routines colorful - Create lighting cues that help with counting down to dinnertime or setting a reading timer.
If you’re seeking a smart home device, then this Amazon Echo Glow should appeal to you. It’s technically a kids’ smart lamp, but it can also work for sleep training. You can program it with voice command such as “Alexa, set a wake-up light alarm for [time] with [toddler’s name] ‘s lamp.”
It also has a rainbow timer, which allows you to tie specific colors to the timer. You can time it for things beyond just sleep, such as brushing teeth, getting dressed for school, and so on. You can choose different lighting modes and play music, as well.
If you are looking for an alarm clock that you can customize, this option is for you.
What we like
- Integrates well with Amazon Alexa
- Is highly versatile and has uses beyond sleep training
- Has a muted design which fits into any room’s décor
What we don’t like
- It can be distracting due to all its functionalities
- Due to all the fragile electronics, it might not be ideal for very young toddlers.
Toddler Alarm Clock Buyer’s Guide
In this section, we’ll dive in a little deeper into the subject of toddler alarm clocks. We’ll explore what they are, whether they work or not, and what to look for when shopping for one.
How is a Toddler Alarm Clock Different Than a Regular Alarm Clock?
A toddler alarm clock is a specially-designed alarm clock for use with toddlers. Also known as the okay-to-wake clock, it uses pictures, lights, and sounds to tell you when it’s okay for your toddler to wake up and start their day.
Do They Work?
So do these alarm clocks work? There’s no silver bullet when it comes to developing your toddler’s sleep schedule. However, if you use the toddler alarm clock properly, it can help your child sleep better.
The best thing is to ease into it, going slowly at first. Start by talking to your child about the toddler alarm clock for a few days before you start using it. Tell them what its purpose is and how it works. Tell them what the rules surrounding it are.
Expectations are important, so set clear and realistic ones about what your toddler can and can’t do if they wake up before the alarm goes off. For example, you might encourage them to stay in bed and read a story until it lights up.
Most importantly, the wake-up time is something you ease into, rather than go for straightaway. If you want your toddler to wake up at 6:30 when they’ve been waking up at 5:30 instead, then don’t immediately set the clock for 6:30. Start with 5:45 instead, then increase the time by ten to 15 minutes every few days until you reach 6:30. Your toddler’s body will adapt to the schedule more easily that way.
Why Might a Clock Not Work?
Of course, like any other strategy you use with toddlers, a toddler alarm clock might not work, but that’s no reason to give up on it. There are various adjustments you can try before you stop using the clock. These changes could help your child develop positive sleep patterns.
For example, you might have set the alarm too far from the actual time your toddler wakes up, or you might have told your toddler that morning is whenever the light turns green, only to go into their room before it turns green.
It would help if you worked out an exact sleep routine with your toddler. If your toddler is an exceptionally early riser and doesn’t sleep in your room, it might be a good idea to get a visual alarm clock.
If you tell your toddler that they need to sleep until the clock lets them know that it’s wake up time, then you need to mean it. In case you tell them that a green light means morning, don’t go into their room before the selected wake-up time.
Once the light does turn green, go into their room with a smile on your face. Point out that it’s great that they stayed in bed until the alarm went off and congratulate them.
You could go even further and use a reward chart. You could get a sticker and adhere it to the chart for every day they wait till the alarm turns green before they get out of bed. If they manage a full week of stickers, you could get them ice cream or some other prize.
What Should You Look for in a Toddler Alarm Clock?
Toddler alarm clocks have some unique features. Here is what to look for when shopping for a toddler alarm clock.
You want something that grabs a toddler’s attention. They are better able to pay attention to their alarm if they find it eye-catching. Choose an alarm clock in your toddler’s favorite colors or their favorite cartoon character. You can also opt for one with great extra features like flashing light or music.
Anything you buy for your toddler needs to be durable. This rule certainly applies to alarm clocks. Buy one made out of durable and safe materials that can handle everyday use and the occasional drop or shake.
The type of notification
This trait depends on what your goals are with your toddler. If you’re looking for something to wake your sleeping toddler at a specific time, then loud noises are your best bet. If you want something to keep your toddler in bed after they’ve woken up, then one with clear color-coded lights is the best option.
You might know what to look for, but that doesn’t mean you don’t still have questions about the best toddler alarm clock:
How do I use a toddler alarm clock?
The trick with a toddler alarm clock is to set clear rules. Make sure that your child understands what the colors, sounds, and other indicators mean. Give them an action for each different signal that the alarm clock gives them.
If the clock is supposed to tell your toddler when to get out of bed and start their day, then let them know that they have to stay in bed until the clock lights up in the correct color. Then, don’t go into their room before it’s time to wake up.
What type of notification is best for my toddler alarm clock?
The answer to this question depends on what your goals are. Loud alarm clocks are best for toddlers who do not wake up on time. For toddlers who wake too early, an alarm with clear light indicators is best. Many clocks have both these options.
It would help if you also aimed for notifications that your toddler will find appealing, such as their favorite song or something related to their favorite TV show, book, or story.
Why doesn’t my toddler alarm clockwork?
For a toddler alarm clock to work, you need to get your toddler in on the game. Before actually using the alarm, talk to your toddler for a few days about it, what it’s for, how it works, and why it’s a good idea.
Once you start using it, set some clear ground rules, and don’t break them, no matter how tempting. The child needs to associate the clock with their sleep cycle, which will take time, consistency, and discipline.
And with that, we come to the end of our review on the best toddler alarm clock. My top recommendation is the My Tot Clock for its great mix of features, appearance, and affordability.
That said, all the other options on our list are great candidates, depending on the features you’re seeking. However, don’t forget that how you use the clock can be more critical than the features that it has. By following the tips in this article, you’ll be able to train your kids to sleep on time and remain in bed until it’s time to get up.