As you probably already know, toddlers are curious about everything in the world around them. They can find a way to have fun with just about anything, and they’ll soon want to participate in sports with their classmates and friends.
Basketball is a great way to introduce your toddler to organized sports. Basketball is also a great way to improve your toddler’s hand-eye coordination, motor skill, and social skills.
Please read our review below to find the best toddler basketball hoop for you.
Quick Summary: Best Toddler Basketball Hoop
|Little Tikes Easy Score Basketball Set||Check on Amazon →|
|Kiddie Play Toy Basketball Hoop Arcade Game||Check on Amazon →|
|AOKESI Pro Indoor Mini Basketball Hoop Set||Check on Amazon →|
|SKLZ Pro Mini Hoop Basketball Set||Check on Amazon →|
Table of Contents
- 1 Options For the Best Toddler Basketball Hoops
- 2 Kiddie Play Toy Basketball Hoop Arcade Game
- 3 Little Tikes Easy Score Basketball Set
- 4 AOKESI Pro Indoor Mini Basketball Hoop Set
- 5 SKLZ Pro Mini Hoop Basketball Set
- 6 How to Choose the Best Basketball Hoop For Your Toddler
- 7 How Can Basketball Benefit My Child?
- 8 How Tall Should My Child’s Basketball Hoop Be?
- 9 Is It Better To Use Sand or Water in the Basketball Hoop Base?
- 10 FAQ
- 11 Finding the Best Toddler Basketball Hoop For You
Options For the Best Toddler Basketball Hoops
Here’s a closer look at several popular options you’ll want to consider:
Kiddie Play Toy Basketball Hoop Arcade Game
- 2 inflatable balls and pump included. Easy to assemble no screws or tools required
- Ball size - 7" diameter. Hoop size - 9" diameter
- Large mesh storage basket in the bottom
This kid-sized basketball hoop feels just like playing an arcade game, making it a perfect addition for any game room, garage, or basement.
This plastic structure stands about 4’6″ tall and is easily assembled with a combination of blue plastic pipes and velcro straps. There are two basketballs and an air pump included with the purchase, which all can be easily stored in the mesh netting below the ball return.
Just like at an arcade, the backboard and ball return make this toy a fun, interactive option for your toddler. The game is playable with friends and family members of various ages.
This toy is perfect for an indoor space but could move outside if the conditions permit. When the toy is not in use, it can be disassembled quickly and easily, stored without requiring much space.
What We Love:
- No tools needed for easy assembly
- Two basketballs and an air pump come with the purchase
- Storage space below the net is perfect for storing balls
- Not too big for small indoor spaces
What Could Be Better:
- The small size of the toy makes it only ideal for young children
- The hoop does not attach well to the backboard
- A little on the pricey side for the product materials
Little Tikes Easy Score Basketball Set
- Indoor and outdoor basketball hoop adjusts to six heights from 2.5 to 4 feet
- Includes an oversized rim and 3 Junior size basketballs
- Develops social, motor skills and coordination
This classic toddler basketball set is an excellent choice for outdoor fun for your little one.
This basketball set stands anywhere between two and four feet tall and is made of a thick, durable plastic that can withstand outside elements and the test of time.
The hoop and net are oversized for the junior-sized balls included with the purchase. This detail ensures easy scoring and a positive first-time basketball experience for your toddler.
The colors and materials used with this toy may look juvenile, but the entire set can grow taller as your child grows up. There are six height settings, all between 2 feet and four feet tall, which can make this purchase a popular toy in your house for several years.
The toy is marketed for children 18 months to 5 years old. With a small base, the toy does not take up much room and could work inside or outside.
As your toddler grows to become stronger or more aggressive with the toy, you can add sand into the base to increase the stability and keep the basketball set standing tall.
Little Tikes is a trustworthy and popular manufacturer of kid’s toys and has been making this model or a similar model of basketball sets for several years.
What We Love:
- The toy can grow with your child with adjustable heights for the backboard and net
- Heavy-duty plastic stand and backboard are not easily broken or damaged
- Three small basketballs included with the purchase
- Reasonably priced
- Also available in pink
What Could Be Better:
- The toy can become heavy to move once sand gets added to the base
- The color of plastic fades over time, especially if left outside
AOKESI Pro Indoor Mini Basketball Hoop Set
- 🏀AOKESI Brand Guaranteed Baskteball Fans Endless Fun: Our 16.5"x12.5" backboard is made of a high quality clear polycarbonate, which is shatter resistant and robust. Protective foam...
- 🏀What You Will Get: This Pro Mini Basketball Hoop Set come with a detailed Installation instructions on the packge. You will get a steel-rim basket, ball net, backboard, 2 rubber...
- 🏀Easy To Install: This Door Mounted Mini Basketball Hoop Set can be easily hung on the door - it fits all common size doors at home or office - or mounted on the wall. Perfect detachable...
This basketball hoop is unlike the others purely for its super easy-to-move and detachable design.
This hoop includes two mini basketballs, an inflator, a net, a backboard, and mounting hardware. The small backboard, steel-rim basket, and net quickly assemble with the tools and instructions included.
You can hang the basket over a door or mount it on a wall, so your toddler can play and throw some baskets wherever is best suited for the game. You can sit back in a chair and shoot or send your toddler running up to the net — either way is a fun experience for the players involved.
Adults can also get in on the fun and participate in games like horse or 1-on-1. The basket’s rim is attached to the backboard with a loaded spring, making slam dunks possible and fun for players of all ages.
What We Love:
- Detachable design is extremely easy to assemble, store and travel with
- Everything needed to play the game comes with the purchase
- Does not require much space
What Could Be Better:
- The game can only be played inside because it requires a door or wall mount
- Extremely small net and balls make the game feel less realistic
SKLZ Pro Mini Hoop Basketball Set
- Complete mini-basketball system includes height-adjustable backboard or rim, pole and mobile base
- Has the look, functionality & durability of a professional-grade basketball system
- Height adjusts up to 7' for court- side play and down to 3' for junior or poolside play
This mini basketball set only requires a door or wall and about fifteen minutes for assembly. A 7-inch ball is included with the purchase so you can get to playing basketball with your toddler right away.
The relatively small base holds the pole and backboard steady for indoor or outdoor play. The backboard is a shatterproof polycarbonate that keeps the breakaway rim and basket sturdy for slam dunks.
The stand can get positioned as low as 3.5 feet for younger players or as high as 7 feet for courtside play. The base can be filled with sand or water to increase the toy’s stability, making the game fun and enjoyable for even the most competitive players.
The stand may weigh a bit with the water or sand, but the game can still be moved from place to place due to the built-in wheels on one side of the base.
What We Love:
- Height-adjustable backboard keeps your child interested in the game as they grow up
- Built-in wheels attached to the weighted base make the toy easily movable
- The backboard is made of a shatterproof polycarbonate material that is not easily damaged
- Instructions and tools for assembly come with the purchase
What Could Be Better:
- The toy is a bit expensive compared to other options on the market
- Only one ball is included with the purchase
How to Choose the Best Basketball Hoop For Your Toddler
When we think of basketball, our minds tend to jump to the NBA or other extreme talent and organization teams. But basketball as a game does not require much besides a hoop, a ball, and an understanding of the game.
As toddlers begin to socialize and understand the world around them, many of them will gravitate toward basketball for several reasons. The most important reason, however, is that the game is fun and enjoyable for people of all ages. Fortunately, the game is good for the players, too.
How Can Basketball Benefit My Child?
Basketball training at a young age is known to improve children’s gross motor skills because it utilizes large, essential muscle groups. Hand-eye coordination will also improve in children due to the nature of the game.
Even if your toddler isn’t particularly good at basketball, the skills they are honing while playing the game will transfer over to other aspects of their day-to-day life. Hand-eye coordination and motor skills are crucial for your child’s success. Putting your toddler around other children in an active environment will help them grow and learn how you cannot duplicate alone.
Agility and general coordination are hard to teach to children one-on-one. Involving your child in a sport, even in the comfort of a game room or backyard, will apply muscles and skills that your little one may not otherwise practice.
Playing sports or participating in playtime in general is also extremely helpful for young children. Playing games with others encourages social interaction, which can lead to developing problem-solving skills and communication techniques.
Studies have shown that even children with autism or other developmental disorders can benefit from group play. As children become comfortable being active with a group of friends, their communication skills become more developed, and they become more confident in communicating and forming relationships with others.
How Tall Should My Child’s Basketball Hoop Be?
To get your child introduced to basketball, you won’t want to challenge them too much right away. Models like the Little Tikes Basketball Set that includes a large hoop and small ball, are very common for young or first-time players.
The broad rim and small balls guarantee easy scoring and can lead to your child’s positive experience. As your toddler continues to play the game, you may want to raise the net and challenge your child to continue striving to make a basket.
According to the NBA’s youth basketball guidelines, children aged 7-8 should use an eight-foot basket. Children younger should use shorter basket heights, respectively.
According to the NBA, young children should also use smaller basketballs that are more proportional to the size of their hands. Smaller basketballs will make it easier for your child to handle the ball and make a fair shot.
Is It Better To Use Sand or Water in the Basketball Hoop Base?
Either sand or water can be used interchangeably in the base for most basketball hoops. Both options have their advantages and disadvantages.
Sand is generally heavier than water, which makes the base more challenging to move and thus sturdier. However, it can be expensive to purchase large amounts of play sand usually used in the bases. It can also be challenging to put the sand into the base physically.
Water is easier to work with and cheaper to use for this instance. However, some water will evaporate over time, meaning you will need to refill the base from time to time. The water can also slosh and spill out of the base during a tense game, but it will still get the job done of keeping the base relatively stable.
Whichever method you choose, make sure to keep track of how much sand or water is in the base at any given time. If there is not enough sand or water to stabilize the base, the board could fall and the hoop could break.
Here are the answers to common questions many folks have about these hoops:
Q: Where can I buy a toddler basketball hoop?
A: Toddler basketball hoops are available at major retailers like Target and Walmart and online through Amazon.com.
Q: How much is a toddler basketball hoop?
A: Toddler basketball hoops can cost anywhere from about $20 to $120 for more advanced models. Hoops with more expensive price tags usually have adjustable height features so that the toy can get used for a longer duration.
Q: Should my toddler’s basketball hoop be inside or outside?
A: It’s totally up to you for where you think would be the best place for your toddler to play basketball. Some hoops are explicitly designed to hang off doors inside, while most other hoops could be placed either inside or outside. If placed inside, make sure there’s plenty of room to play and nothing breakable in the area!
Finding the Best Toddler Basketball Hoop For You
Let’s be honest – your toddler is likely not going to care too much about which type of basketball hoop you get them for their birthday. All they care about is playing the game and having a good time.
So before making your purchase, take inventory of the space you expect your toddler to play in. If space is inside, you should opt for a movable setup that does not take up an entire area. If you want your little one playing outside, consider how much you are willing to spend on the game.
The classic Little Tikes Easy Score Basketball Set is a great choice for both inside and outside games. This affordable basketball hoop is a fun and easy introduction to the sport, while also having height-adjustable qualities that could come in handy if your little one especially likes the game.
You can always purchase a more advanced or regulation-sized hoop when your child grows up and is more involved with the sport. For now, introduce the game gently and in a fun environment with a hoop geared toward their success.
Whichever hoop you go with, you should rest easy knowing your toddler is benefitting from the experience regardless. Introducing basketball into your little one’s life is a positive experience with a definite pay off. Your toddler is sure to pick up skills and techniques they otherwise wouldn’t know.