You are about to hit a giant milestone with your little one- entering the world of solid food! You are excited that they might not need as many nursing sessions or bottles. You can’t wait to take that video of them spitting out their first homemade baby food.
What are the best baby food storage solutions? Read on to find out our top picks and why you can trust these items to keep your food fresh and safe as it waits for your tot’s next meal.
Quick Summary: Best Baby Food Storage Containers
|WeeSprout Glass Baby Food Storage Containers||Check on Amazon →|
|OXO Tot Baby Blocks Freezer Storage Containers||Check on Amazon →|
|Mumi&Bubi Solids Starter Kit, Two Reusable Baby Food Freezer Storage Trays||Check on Amazon →|
|Tovla Kitchen Baby Food Freezer Storage Containers||Check on Amazon →|
|Munchkin Love-a-Bowls 10 Piece Feeding Set||Check on Amazon →|
Table of Contents
- 1 Top 5 Picks for Baby Food Storage
- 2 WeeSprout Glass Baby Food Storage Containers
- 3 OXO Tot Baby Blocks Freezer Storage Containers
- 4 Mumi&Bubi Solids Starter Kit, Two Reusable Baby Food Freezer Storage Trays
- 5 Tovla Kitchen Baby Food Freezer Storage Containers
- 6 Munchkin Love-a-Bowls 10 Piece Feeding Set
- 7 Things to Consider When Buying Baby Food Storage Containers
- 8 Freezing Baby Food
- 9 Safety Considerations
- 10 Ensuring Freshness
- 11 Features to Look For
- 12 Overall Value
- 13 FAQs about Baby Food Storage
- 14 What are the Most Trusted Brands in Baby Food Storage?
- 15 How Long Can I Expect Food to Last in Baby Food Storage Containers?
- 16 How Do I Make Sure My Baby Food Storage Containers Are Safe?
- 17 Final Thoughts
Top 5 Picks for Baby Food Storage
Here are our top recommendations for the best baby food storage containers.
WeeSprout Glass Baby Food Storage Containers
- 4 OZ CAPACITY JARS WITH MEASUREMENT MARKINGS - Our 4oz containers with lids allow you to prepare the perfect amount of food for your little ones. No more food waste! It also allows you to...
- HIGH GRADE FOOD-SAFE TEMPERED GLASS - Ergonomic, tempered-glass design allows for better handling. Dropping baby food storage jars are not only scary when they’re glass, but also wasteful...
- 100% BPA, PHTHALATE, PVC FREE, & GERM RESISTANT - Tempered glass is an excellent alternative to plastic containers, as it doesn’t contain BPA, Phthalates, or PVC. Plus, glass is...
This set of 12 glass containers gives you two options for colors; one bright and bold, one muted and subtle, so they can match the style of your kitchen without sacrificing function. The screw-on air-tight lids allow foods to stay fresh for long periods of time or be put in the freezer without becoming freezer burnt- a definite plus for those times when you bought way too much!
The lids for these jars are screwed on with threading, so there are no extra pieces or rubber gaskets to clean after usage and contact with food, which is a time saver. What parent doesn’t need more time?
- 100% BPA, Phthalate, PVC free, and germ resistant
- Measurement markings on the glass
- Microwave, freezer, and dishwasher safe
- Expo marker for labeling lids is included
- Durable with excellent seal
- Glass may not be allowed at daycare centers
- Stacking rather than nesting for storage may take up more space than other products
- Made in China- may be a deterrent for some people looking for USA-made products
OXO Tot Baby Blocks Freezer Storage Containers
- Portion, store, freeze, heat and serve baby food with ease
- Ideal for storing large batches of pureed foods and serving baby on the go
- Airtight, watertight, leak proof seal prevents messes; easy motion to open and close
These OXO containers are an excellent option for the working parent! Many daycare centers do not allow glass jars for safety reasons, and these could be your go-to alternative.
With a storage tray included, they will not get lost in your fridge or freezer, so you won’t be digging around in the evening when trying to pack your child’s bag for the upcoming day. They have measurement markings and clear lids, so you can always be sure which foods you are serving and how much your babe is getting. This is incredibly convenient if you send your child or children to childcare and would like to know how much they ate while there.
These containers are virtually leak-proof, which is something every parent is looking for.
- Storage tray included
- Clear lids for easy viewing of food
- PVC, BPA, and phthalate-free
- Dishwasher, freezer, and microwave safe
- Multi-functional- can continue to use them as children get older for snacks that are portioned for one person
- This set only comes with four jars, which could be considered a minimal amount
- Plastic may not be preferable to glass for some
- Rubber ring used for sealing the lid (may be tough to clean or reseal after putting in the dishwasher)
Mumi&Bubi Solids Starter Kit, Two Reusable Baby Food Freezer Storage Trays
- SAVE TIME, SAVE SPACE You get 2 x premium stackable compact baby food freezer trays with snug fit lids that prevent spills and freezer-burn. Each tray holds 21 cubes and each cube is about 2...
- EASY TO CLEAN The rounded portions mean there are no tricky corners to wipe out, which makes cleaning a breeze. Plus, they're top-shelf dishwasher safe, making life even easier for busy mums...
- RECIPE E-BOOK Access to a step-by-step home-made baby food recipe e-guide with 27 nutritious recipes to get you started feeding your little one fruits, veggies, lentils and more
This option does not look quite as traditional, but it should prove incredibly useful for batch cooking your baby food and freezing it.
These BPA, PVC free plastic trays are an easy solution to pop all your baby’s food into as you cook away on Sunday afternoon! Meal prep, check. If only adult meal prepping was this easy!
This container comes with a bonus of a free e-book of recipes! There are 27 of them to get you started on your LO’s journey into solid food, making sure they are introduced to many textures and flavors along the way.
- Extremely compact; makes for easy, stackable storage even when full of food in the freezer
- Comes with transparent lids for storage, easy to see what’s inside
- No staining issues
- Plastic is thick and durable
- “Cubes” are only 1 oz or two tablespoons; if your baby is eating more than that, it may be inconvenient
- Could have to use hot water to get the cubes to come out of the tray (potential timewaster)
- Semi-circle shape may make it difficult to transfer to other containers for defrosting
Tovla Kitchen Baby Food Freezer Storage Containers
- Ideal Baby Food Size – The perfect size for growing babies, toddlers, and kids. Store finger foods, fruit, purees, and homemade snacks for home, preschool, or mall trips.
- Attached Leak- Proof Lids – For busy parents with on-the-go lifestyles, these premium, kid-friendly container cups have hinged lids so you never lose or misplace them.
- Plan Meals Ahead – These containers are freezer safe, which means you can make homemade or organic foods and store them for later to make mealtime fast.
This is the most budget-friendly option on the list, getting plenty of containers for the price. One of the best parts of this option is that the lids are attached! You will never have to dig around in your cabinets, wondering where one of the covers of your baby food storage containers escaped to.
Because these containers are such a budget-friendly option, they are labeled as both dishwashers safe and disposable, making clean-up a breeze if you choose to do the latter.
- Durable (particularly for the price-point)
- Budget-friendly with 50 containers included
- Disposable or reusable
- Dishwasher safe
- Can be challenging to open and close
- The plastic feels “cheaper” than other plastic option
- Containers may arrive broken
Munchkin Love-a-Bowls 10 Piece Feeding Set
- Spill-proof, leak-proof and break-proof, 100% guaranteed
- BPA-Free bowls nest nicely for easy stacking and storage
- Includes 4 bowls, 4 lids and 2 soft-tip, easy-grip spoons - providing great value for parents
Munchkin is a well-known, reputable brand that has tons of feeding products for babies. They are high-quality and well-thought-out, and this bowl set is no exception.
The set comes with four bowls, four air-tight lids, and two spoons, making it great for more than just baby-food storage.
When these bowls aren’t in use, they nest nicely directly inside one another and stack directly on top of their lids.
- Comes with two spoons
- Munchkin is a trusted, household name for any parent or caregiver
- Larger capacity than other containers (5-6 oz)
- Lids are extremely secure, no leakage
- Easy to clean, even with wipes when on the go
- Not freezer-safe
- Because the lids are so secure, they are sometimes difficult to open back up
Things to Consider When Buying Baby Food Storage Containers
For convenience, containers that are freezer safe, dishwasher safe, and microwave safe are your best bet; many on our list fit the bill. That way, you know food is well cared for, whichever way it may need to be prepared and stored.
Freezing Baby Food
If you are going the route of freezing to make your little’s food last as long as possible, many people may tell you that you risk losing the food’s nutrients. This is simply not true!
According to the USDA, “the freezing process itself does not destroy nutrients. In meat and poultry products, there is little change in nutrient value during freezer storage.” They also say that the discoloration that happens in vegetables is because they are drier when frozen.
So, rest assured that those convenient, pre-prepared dinners of frozen chicken and peas are still delivering all the goods, excellent caregivers!
In terms of the overall safety of the food you serve your baby, always remember to serve it within two hours of pulling it out of the refrigerator for it not to be at risk of air-borne bacteria.
Secondly, no matter what container you choose, never reheat or refreeze your baby’s food more than once.
Lastly, to keep your babe as safe as possible, don’t feed directly out of the storage container if your baby isn’t one to finish a “meal” in one sitting! If it’s been contaminated with their saliva, it needs to be tossed.
All of the products on our list will allow you to complete these tasks with ease.
The main things you will want to consider in terms of freshness when purchasing baby food storage containers is if they are air-tight, shatter-proof (if you are using a glass), and leakproof. In terms of material, glass is recommended by the AAP because it is easily recyclable, and it also allows parents not to worry about harmful chemicals potentially found in plastic.
Obviously, when using glass, you have a higher risk of breakage, which is why many daycare centers don’t allow them, and caregivers may not be as comfortable traveling with them. When switching over the plastic, be mindful that the product description always says BPA free and PVC free, giving you peace of mind.
Just like our adult versions, baby food made of the best ingredients can spoil. When choosing your baby food storage, you want to make sure it will allow you to serve your baby the freshest food possible. Always label and date your containers and follow the recommendations for how long you can keep baby food in all situations.
Features to Look For
If you can go with glass as an option for your baby food storage, that’s wonderful. However, not all glass is created equal.
You will want to look for glass containers that are durable and can withstand extreme temperature changes. If your container is going from the freezer to the fridge, to the microwave having glass that can withstand those changes is a must.
You also want it to be durable so that you don’t have to be constantly worried about traveling with it. Some glass containers are even oven safe without their lids on, so if you are a microwave-less home, this could be an excellent option for you!
As mentioned many times here (and anywhere else, you will research this topic!), plastic must be BPA and PVC free to be the safest for your little’s food.
Making your baby homemade food will make it so they can enjoy new textures and be exposed to many different flavors. So, it is undoubtedly worthwhile.
But, your baby isn’t going to eat purees forever! This is the season of life you are in now, and of course, you want it to be convenient, safe, and the best experience for the whole family. However, as you are no doubt, learning quickly, babies go through stages fast!
It is worth it to consider the value of your containers for more than just baby food.
Are they great for small snacks? Can they be used for smoothie prep or other frozen snacks? If the storage options are going to last through the toddler years and beyond, consider them an investment in your kitchen organization. Your future self and future kiddo will thank you!
FAQs about Baby Food Storage
Have more questions? Check out these commonly asked questions!
What are the Most Trusted Brands in Baby Food Storage?
OXO: You trust OXO for all your various kitchen needs, so why would your baby food storage be any different? They are experts in using safe materials, which is paramount when choosing products for your little one. They are so confident in their products that they offer a replacement or refund if you are at all dissatisfied.
Weesprout: Weesprout touts themselves as a specifically eco-friendly company, so you can feel good about using their products! They are family owned and care deeply about the community they are serving. They began with their “Nature’s Little Squeeze” reusable pouches and expanded to other types of baby food storage from there.
Munchkin: Munchkin is over fifteen years old, allowing them ample time to perfect their brand standards. They care about the health and safety of the families they serve and have an extensive information page on their site with FAQs, which includes many questions about their baby food storage containers.
How Long Can I Expect Food to Last in Baby Food Storage Containers?
Knowing how long to keep baby food before it spoils is always essential, and should be at the forefront of your mind when prepping meals for your precious babe. Proteins such as meat, poultry, fish, and eggs can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
Fruits and vegetables can be in the fridge slightly longer; you’ll want to use them within 48 hours. Lastly, for any homemade baby food put in the freezer, it is ideal to use it within three months but can be kept up to six.
How Do I Make Sure My Baby Food Storage Containers Are Safe?
No matter what your container’s material is, look for quality food-grade safe products. Glass is typically the safest material, as it is easy to clean and sterilize. However, this isn’t always an option depending on your child’s situation. If you need to go the route of plastic, make sure that it is BPA and PVC free.
Overall, Weesprout’s family-owned branding, glass jars, and inclusion of twelve containers in a set make them our frontrunner in the best baby food storage. Their message is something that parents and caregivers can truly get behind; their storage containers were created out of a need for their own children to have something they felt positively about, and you should too. They also carry reusable pouches for when your tot gets a bit bigger!
If you simply cannot do glass due to daycare or other restrictions, OXO comes in a close second.
Making homemade baby food is an endeavor of love, and you should feel confident in your storage solutions for it. Entering the world of solid foods should be fun, not stressful! With the right products in hand, your baby’s transition can be a smooth, enjoyable one for the whole family.