You know that feeling you get when your child is in their favorite blanket, snug and secure? That’s what wearing a baby carrier feels like. Baby carriers are a fantastic option to keep your little one feeling safe and close throughout the day.
Baby carriers are expensive, but that doesn’t mean you need to break the bank. A basic model carrier can cost as little as ten dollars or less, while some designer styles may run closer to three hundred bucks!
What’s the average price across all types of carriers? Just under twenty-five dollars each, which is not terrible considering how much more comfortable they can make your baby feel while being worn. However, if you’d like to make your own baby carrier to save even more money keep reading to learn how.
Table of Contents
How To Make A Baby Carrier
There are many ways to make a baby carrier. You can sew one or you can make a carrier out of materials you have around the house. If you want to sew your own baby carrier, there are many patterns and tutorials available online. If you want to make your own carrier, here are some instructions: To make a baby carrier, you will need:
- A piece of fabric at least 44″x44″
- Sewing machine or needed and thread
The Steps To Make A Baby Carrier
How To Make A Sling
- The supplies you will need for this project include two rings made specifically to hold the baby, 2 ¼ yards of fabric (a little more than 1 yard if using denim), a sewing machine, and pins or thread. You can get all these materials at your local craft store.
- Cut the fabric so that it is 28 inches wide and still 2.25 yards in length, then measure your window for size before cutting out triangle shapes.
- To create an even more authentic-looking carrier, place your fabric so that the design is facing down and fold it in half. Iron this creased side flat with a hot iron before folding again for another ½ inch or so until all four edges meet along one edge where you will pin them together to prepare for sewing later on.
- Begin sewing a straight stitch up one of the longer sides and across to where it meets with another shorter side. Leave this open so you can easily continue stitching in reverse on all four corners, ensuring there are no gaps between each row or round.
- Next, take the two rings and run them through one another. Pull down to the 15-inch mark in order to fan out the fabric side by side, making sure not to twist it while doing so.
- Place your fabric so it covers one shoulder and travels down over your opposite hip.
- Gather the fabric over your shoulder to create even gaps, then do the same with whatever you’ve got on top.
- When tying two ends of the fabric together, it is important to make sure that there are no twists in the cord. To do this, simply wrap your tie around both pieces and secure with a slipknot using either one double or reverse layout depending on what works best for you.
- You can now loosen the fabric to create a seat section that will fit your baby.
- To make a wrap baby carrier, you will need scissors, fabric measuring about five yards, and thread to sew it together with on hand.
- Cut the fabric into a 5-yard length with a 20-23-inch width.
- To create a little corner on your quilt, start by cutting off the side. Use scissors to carefully cut through the layers of fabric until you reach the edge so it looks like there’s no sewing required.
- Cut the opposite corner of the fabric through both layers, folding the fabric longways so that the cut sides are now on top of the uncut side. The ends will be narrower and easier to tie as a result.
The possibilities are endless so take the time to find different fabrics that work best with your design goals and have fun!
What Is The Best Way To Make Baby Carriers
The idea of making a sling seems almost too complicated and daunting. Don’t worry, even if you’re an absolute beginner there is no need for sewing!
See below for a list of projects that will guide you through every step in creating siloso slings from scratch without any seaming or cutting whatsoever.
Making your own baby carrier is an excellent way to save money.
Carriers can be expensive, so it’s a great option if you are on a tight budget. With a handmade baby carrier, you will be able to hold your baby hands-free and have the satisfaction of creating your very own!